Product safety and directions for use
This is an area of great confusion and advice in books varies greatly, especially in regard to pregnancy. “Natural” doesn’t mean it’s automatically safe. Essential oils are extremely concentrated and potent so there is a real risk of toxicity.
Mother Nurture product labels state simple instructions for use. Please follow these carefully and exercise your own judgement in determining the appropriateness of a product.
If ever in doubt contact us prior to use.
Some general safety points when using essential oils:-
- Essential oils must be stored in dark bottles with a dripolator and kept out of reach of children, preferably in a cool, dry environment.
- Never take essential oils internally
- Do not apply pure essential oils undiluted to the skin unless under supervision of a qualified clinical Aromatherapist.
- Avoid using essential oils near eyes.
- Remember less is more! Don’t exceed the recommended dose.
- Components of some essential oils are photosensitive, i.e. they make the skin more sensitive to the sun. Avoid putting these oils on the skin before sun exposure: Lemon, Bergamot, Lime, Grapefruit and Bitter Orange.
- When adding essential oils to the bath always blend in a dispersant before adding to the water. An easy way to do this is to add the essential oils to about ½ cup full cream milk or 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and then disperse into the water.
- It’s advisable to do a patch test on people with sensitive skin.
- If skin irritation results from product application discontinue use immediately. If irritation results from essential oils on the skin wipe the area with vegetable oil, not water, to remove the essential oil.
- It is recommended to seek the advice of a qualified aromatherapist in the following cases: pregnancy, babies & children, elderly, chronic disease, epilepsy, high blood pressure, cancer or if currently being treated by a medical practitioner.
- If ever in doubt contact a qualified aromatherapist for advice.
Pure Essential Oil Blends: Directions for use
Inhalation: 4 to 6 drops in a vaporiser, repeat every 2-3 hours. Alternatively use 1-2 drops in a bowl of warm water or on a tissue and inhale.
Bath: mix 6 to 8 drops of essential oil in dispersant or ½ cup full cream milk or 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add to warm bath, lie back & relax. Alternatively put 4-6 drops in corner of shower recess.
Massage/perfume: mix 4 to 6 drops of essential oil into 10mls (2 teaspoons) of vegetable oil or unscented cream and massage into skin or apply to wrists, neck and chest.
N.B. These dilutions are suitable for most adults & children over 7; for children 2-7 years of age use half quantity; 1-2 yrs of age use quarter quantity. For aromatic care of babies and children below 12 months of age consultation with a qualified aromatherapist is recommended.